For the Boatmasters’s certificate part 1 & 2 there is a lot of theory to learn. Boating school Bateaulien helps you out by offering interactive classes with lots of practical examples.
When do you need the small Boatmasters’s certificate?
- If you sail a boat longer than 15 metres.
- If you sail a boat capable of going in excess of 20 kph (rubber dinghies with powerful outboard motors, jet skis, water scooters, speedboats)
- If you sail a pleasure yacht of 15 to 25 metres long.
- If you sail a commercial vessel of 15 to 20 metres long.
Boatmasters’ certificate part 1 course
Consists of 6 lessons: 5 theory and 1 practical lesson. During the last class of the Boatmasters’ certificate part 1 we will sail in the canals and on the IJ with the Nymphéa, making the theory visible and recognizable. A mock exam will also be exercised.
Boatmasters’ certificate part 1 will teach you:
- the rules for sailing on rivers, canals and lakes
- basic knowledge of the engine
- handling of your ship
- safety on board
- basic knowledge of meteorology
- buoyage system
- optical signals of ships
New courses Boatmasters’ certificate start regularly, please call for info and dates.
Boatmasters’certificate part 2 course
Consist of 6 lessons, including a mock exam which will teach you:
- the rules of sailing on open water such as the sea, the Meuse River, the Westerscheldt
- the Ems estuary
- theory on sailing in tidal waters
- navigation using a plotter and a pair of compasses on a chart
VHF maritime radio
When you sail a ship with a VHF maritime radio on board, you will need a basic certificate VHF maritime radio to operate the inland navigation VHF maritime radio-telephone.
A ship longer than 20 metres is obliged to have a VHF maritime radio (sometimes two, depending on the area you sail in) on board.
The basic certificate VHF radio course consists of 2 lessons, in which the theory of call discipline and a mock exam will be treated.
The examinations are conducted by VAMEX.